“Big-D constructed an award-winning building for Westminster College. They did it with considerable constraints in terms of staging and site issues and minimized the impact on campus operations. They exceeded our expectations in what they delivered in terms of quality and final result.”
– Steve Morgan
Sr. Vice President, Westminster College
- LEED Platinum, U.S. Green Building Council
- 2011 Envision Utah Governor’s Quality Growth Aware–Envision Utah & Utah Quality Growth Commission
- 2010 Champion of ABC, ABC Utah
- 2010 Excellence In Construction - Best Institutional Project over $10 Million, ABC Utah
- 2010 AGC of Utah Awards - Green Building, AGC of Utah
- 2010 Best of 2010 Award - Bronze, Higher Education/Research, Mountain States Construction
Westminster College is a private liberal arts college located in Salt Lake City. Westminster College has experienced tremendous growth in recent years as the school works to attract more students to attend. In 2008, Big-D Construction was hired to build the Westminster College Meldrum Science Center. The plans for the new building included achieving LEED Platinum certification. This would mark Utah’s first higher education building to achieve the highest standard in sustainable design.
The 58,484-square-foot facility, located in the center of the Westminster College campus, houses the Biology, Chemistry, Geology and Physics departments of the College of Arts and Sciences. It is the culminating project in Westminster’s 10-year campus master plan, and will help the college attract and retain top-notch faculty and students. The building has smart lighting fixtures that dim in response to the presence of natural light and project light where it’s needed. Big-D recycled 600 tons of waste material from the site and purchased materials from local sources.