“We are truly overwhelmed by the spirit of collaboration that guided this project and that made it ultimately so successful….The resulting facility – for the entire community to enjoy – provides wonderful testimony to what working together can accomplish.”
– Karen Bengard, P.E., Assistant Director of Public Works
– Karen Kienzle, Director, Art Center
- LEED Silver
Created by the community for the community in 1971, the Palo Alto Art Center provides an accessible and welcoming place for people of all ages to discover and engage in art. The Art Center, which is open and free to the public, showcases a variety of ever-changing exhibitions involving active participation and encouraging dialogue by featuring a hands-on art component within the gallery.
The remodel and renovation of the existing 27,428-square-foot Art Center included the following:
- A roof replacement
- Repair and replacement of deteriorated wood members
- Interior finishes such as glazing, doors, windows, and hardware
- Toilet core upgrades
- Upgrades to exterior and interior circulation for ada accessibility requirements
- Upgrades or replacement of mechanical, electrical, lighting, plumbing, fire protection, and structural systems
In addition to the renovation, Big-D built a new children’s wing to create and display the artwork of children in the community. The site included new drop-off areas, courtyard space for a sculpture garden, and a deck. Extensive measures were taken to preserve and move many of the existing trees located on the property.