The Dugway Proving Grounds needed to expand its Life Sciences Test Facility (LSTF) with specialized equipment and additional laboratory space. Keeping the added space secure without increasing costs was a priority. Big-D is helping Dugway meet those needs.
- LEED Registered
- Self Performed Structural Concrete
Located in the western Utah desert, the Dugway Life Science Test Facility (LSTF) is home to research aimed at protecting U.S. troops from airborne and liquid biological pathogens and toxins. In 2012, Big-D Construction was brought in to build a 41,200 square foot addition to the Life Science Test Facility.
The facility houses testing, research, design, analysis, and office areas. Ten Bio-Safety Level 2 (BSL2) labs, five BSL3 labs, and one BSL3 Aerosol Chamber were included in the addition, as well as areas for calibration, maintenance, and repair of sensitive laboratory instruments and an autoclave with supporting equipment. The existing building was then renovated to allow access to the new addition through the existing LSTF, avoiding duplication of security personnel.
This project includes the following features:
- Fire detection system and connect to existing fire alarm system
- Fire suppression system in accordance with UFC 3-600-01, AR 420-1, all applicable National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) codes, International Building Code (IBC), Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC), Dugway Fire Department, and any other applicable codes
- Auxiliary generator to maintain power to mission-critical Research, Development, Testing and Evaluation (RDTE) processing systems, including associated safety, alarm, and shutdown systems in the event of an interruption or failure of the power grid
- Intrusion Detection System (IDS) in accordance with AR 190-17
- All required Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection measures
- Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)
A new parking was construction and ties into the existing road network. A waste-handling system was included to dispose of laboratory-generated waste in accordance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, and standards.