The four-star hotel is considered by many to be the high point in a series of historic preservation projects revitalizing Ogden’s downtown.
- Heritage Award—Stabilization, Renovation, Restoration Project, Utah Heritage Foundation | 2002
Named after David Eccles, one of Utah’s first millionaires, the 1913 Eccles Building was fully renovated to house the 137-room Crowne Plaza Hotel. The four-star hotel is considered by many to be the high point in a series of historic preservation projects revitalizing Ogden’s downtown.
Big-D cleaned, repaired, and renovated the exterior of the original eight-story office building. The building also required extensive seismic upgrades, with new three-foot thick mat footings supporting basement-to-roof structural steel braced frames. In addition to installing new electrical, HVAC, plumbing, and fire protection systems, Big-D refurbished two elevators and installed a new elevator.
Restoring stairway and lobby finishes to their original condition, Big-D built a connecting entry from the hotel to the 90,000-square-foot David Eccles Conference Center and Peery’s Egyptian Theatre, which are also Big-D projects.
The Crowne Plaza features an upscale restaurant, lounge, and tenant lease spaces. Hotel guests are a short walk from Ogden’s arts and entertainment district and historic 25th Street with its distinctive shops and art galleries.